The department’s responsibility is to design and develop school-based programmes for the education of the nomads in Nigeria. Functions:
- Determine standards to be attained in the nomadic schools in the country.
- Design, development and production of curriculum and instructional materials.
- Generate data through research for programme development and modification of implementation strategies.
- Conduct teacher training.
- Coordination of academic support services of the University based Nomadic Education Centres.
- Collate, analyse and publish information relating to nomadic education.
- Arrange meetings for the Academic and Professional Committee.
Departmental Structure:The department is made up of the Academic Services Section, Documentation and Graphic units. The department also coordinates the activities of the four University Based Nomadic Education Centres located at Usman Danfodiyo University, Sokoto; University of Jos; University of Maiduguri; and University of Port Harcourt.
UNITS DOCUMENTATION UNIT: During the period under review the Documentation Unit has successfully performed the following activities:
- Increase its volume of collection (books, journals, monographs serials etc) which were accrued through donation from individuals, government and non-government organizations.
- Provision of immense assistance to its teeming readers both within and outside the Commission.
- Processing of newly accrued medium holdings.
In an attempt to keep its patronizers current with the global happenings, the unit engaged itself with the processing and display of dailies.
During the period under review, the Graphic Unit carried out the following activities:
(i) Designed and produced relevant illustrations in the Textual Materials on the education of children of pastrolists and migrant fisherfolk in various subjects and also redesigned the cover page of pupils’ text and curriculum.
(ii) Designing of the commission’s workshop Banners.
(iii) The Unit designed the commission’s new Logo and also the organogram.
- UBEC/NCNE 2014 projects
- Quality Assurance in Nomadic Education
- Teachers education and development
- Technical and vocational education
- Long-term plans
- Mid-term plans
- Short-term plans
- One year strategic plan